Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Thanksgiving in Aberdeen

It has been so many years since we went to Aberdeen for Thanksgiving, that I can't even remember the last time we went.  (I actually had to go back through pictures to see when the last time we went was - 2008).  This year Scott had his Alaska travel right before Thanksgiving, so I really wanted to just barricade ourselves at home and not go anywhere, and just enjoy being back together.  But, in the end, I decided we should go spend Thanksgiving with my family.

We drove to Aberdeen on Wednesday afternoon.  The news was predicting a huge storm Wednesday afternoon/evening, so I tried to get us out of the house Wednesday morning.  But, getting this crew on the road is not very easy, and we didn't end up leaving till around 2:00.  We had decent roads most of the way, but hit horrible roads just outside of American Falls. I was driving, and by then it was dark.  The storm had increased enough (snow and blowing), that the road was completely covered in white.  Visibility was nearly zero.  And my windshield wipers started to build up ice on them, so they weren't working at all.  My windshield was a wet mess with ice and snow, and I couldn't even make out the road.  It was so scary!  I drove white knuckled two more miles to the American Falls exit.  I stopped at the top of the exit ramp, and Scott and I hopped out of the front seat in the blizzard, and tried to break the ice off the windshield wipers.  He took over driving, and we made our way into the town of American Falls, and found a gas station.  Scott went in and bought de-icer fluid and a snow scraper/brush.  We cleaned the windshield wipers off really good, and Scott sprayed down the windshield and wipers with the de-icer fluid.  Then we continued on to Aberdeen.  If there was a hotel in American Falls, I totally would have stayed there for the night, but there isn't, so we had no option but to keep going to my parents.  But the roads were completely unsafe, and we are so lucky we made it to Aberdeen safely.  Normally the drive between American Falls and Aberdeen takes around 15 minutes.  That night it took us an hour and a half. 

Thursday the kids played in the snow at Grandma's while I helped my mom get Thanksgiving dinner ready.  We had our dinner at the Fire Station, because my mom's house is too small to hold all of us.  There were 29 of us total.  Heather was there with her family of 9, Shauna had 5, we had 9, Linda had 4 (Abby had to work and didn't get to come to dinner), and my parents made 2 more.  We had plenty of food, and the kids loved that they got to play hide and seek amidst the fire trucks after they were done eating.  Owen loved that there was a bucket with train tracks there for him to play with.




I did a horrible job of taking pictures.  I spent my time visiting and totally forgot to take any pictures!

Grandma let the kids decorate ice cream cones as Christmas trees.





Aaron's therapist Rachel challenged him to take three bites of every food that was at dinner.  He has been working on food taste and texture this year in therapy, and this was an opportunity to show how far he has come.  The rule was he had to have at least three bites, then he got to rate it with a smiley face or frowney face (or neutral like he did with the turkey).  He totally rocked it!  He tried everything that was there, and liked most of it.  He declared Aunt Shauna the cooking winner, because everything she brought got rated with a smiley face (she was in charge of all the pies and cranberry sauce).  I was so proud of him!

No comments: