Monday, September 21, 2015

Vacation Day 1 (July 31)

After doing our big Redwoods/California trip for Spring Break, we needed a very low key summer trip. We decided on New Meadows/McCall because it is close and it is cheap. But it's also very fun, so we were all excited.

Scheduling was tricky, because Scott has had to travel so much this summer.  Just a few days here and there, but it was difficult to find a solid week where he would be home.  We settled on the week of Nate's birthday, and reserved the cabin.  And then I realized that was also my cousin Connor's wedding in Rexburg.  I tried to push the cabin reservation forward a few days, but they had people coming in the day we left, so there was no wiggle room.  So, I decided we'd drive up to Aberdeen Thursday night, attend the wedding in Rexburg Friday morning, then drive back past Boise and on to New Meadows for our reservation Friday night.  It was going to be a lot of driving, but I really wanted to make it to the wedding.

I spent all day Thursday packing, and when Scott came home, I was only half way done, and totally exhausted.  I was having to pack not only for the wedding, but also a week long family vacation, and I was trying to also clean my house, because I had some cousins that needed to stay at my house for a night while we were gone.  It was just too much.  And when we started counting up how many hours we'd have to drive, it just was too overwhelming.  We'd have 3 /12 hours to Aberdeen on Thursday.  On Friday morning, we'd have 2 hours to Rexburg, 2 hours back to Aberdeen, 3 1/2 hours back to Boise, and another 3 hours on to New Meadows.  So, Thursday evening, I threw in the towel and called my mom to tell her we wouldn't make it to the wedding.

That gave me clear to the next day to finish packing, and I was already half way there, so the rest of the packing wasn't so bad.  We were in the car and on the road by 1 the next afternoon.



This is Scott's "get me out of this crazy car" face.

This lasted for all of 10 minutes, till someone yelled and woke her up. 

We took the same road that Scott and Josh took to Moscow, Big Flat Road.  Lots of dirt roads, low speeds, sudden drop offs to the side of the road, and lots of free range cows.  We finally made it to the cabin.  We spent the rest of the day settling in.



No comments: