Friday, August 15, 2014

Projects

As if construction on my house wasn't enough, I took on a couple more projects this summer.  They were free, and I can't pass up free.  The first one was this play house.  My friend Dani (the same one who gave me the bunk beds that are now the red and green beds in Owen and Josh's room), called me up and asked if I wanted this playhouse they were getting rid of.  She warned me that it needed a ton of TLC, but I told her that I always love a good project, and was happy to take it on. 

I tore off the broken plastic roof, and replaced it with shingles left over from our new roof.  I took a finish nailer and used it to secure everything that was falling apart (the mailbox and benches mainly).  I gave the whole thing a thorough sanding and stained it all.  And now it's almost as good as new, and my kids LOVE it. 



The next project wasn't quite so major.  It was a chair that a girl had put out in front of her house, with a FREE sign on it.  The girl's dog had chewed on one side and ripped the fabric, so stuffing was spilling out.  My friend that I was with (who knew the girl who was getting rid of the chair), talked me into taking it. I took the chair home.  I used a scrap piece of old fabric to patch up the hole, and then used my Bissell to clean it thoroughly.  The end result is a surprisingly comfortable chair that fits perfect in the little nook in Josh's room.  The idea is that it can be a quiet reading chair for Josh when school starts and he needs somewhere to hide out. 




The next project that I have my eye on is building a new kitchen table.  We'll see how soon I get around to that.

No comments: