Monday, August 11, 2014

Owen's New Bed

Owen has slept in our chair for the longest time.  When we moved him out of his crib at a year and a half, he decided he wanted our chair for a bed, and he's been sleeping in there ever since.  He's almost 4, and the chair was getting a bit small for him.  Scott and I have tried so many things over the years to try and convince him to sleep in a real bed, but he always ended up back in our chair.








With the completion of Kate's room, and her moving upstairs, the downstairs room became Josh and Owen's.  I tried to talk Owen into sleeping in the big queen bed that was in that room (it had been a guest bed over the years).  But Owen wouldn't have it.  He said Josh was stinky, and screamed till I let him come sleep in the chair. 

So in a move of desperation, I took one set of bunk beds from the upstairs boys room, and moved it downstairs.  Those bunk beds had been given to us from a friend, and one had been stained red, while the other one had never been stained.  I told Owen that bed was going to be his, and that he could choose what ever color he wanted it to be.  I let him come to Home Depot and pick the color of stain, and then I let him help me paint it.



And then, by some miracle, Owen decided that he actually liked the bed.  He slept in it the first night (which happened to be the night of Joshua's birthday).



In the following days, he made sure to tell me that his room wasn't my room any more, that his room was down Kate's hall.  And told me his chair was now my chair, because it was too small for him.  He has slept in that green bed every night since then.  He loves his green bed.  And I love that I don't have to tiptoe around a sleeping toddler when I head to my bed each night.  Hooray for green beds!

No comments: