Thursday, September 29, 2011

Busy Times

I find myself amazed at how busy things are these days. I keep thinking that things will slow down and I'll be able to get caught up on everything, but it's yet to happen. I always feel like taking time to sit down and blog is a frivolous use of my time, but I want to have a record for our family to look back on some day to remember this crazy, busy, wonderful time in our lives. So, I'm pausing my work on house cleaning and laundry to sit and report on this past week.

Friday night Scott and I wanted to get out for a date night, but discovered when trying to find a babysitter, that it was Eagle High's Homecoming game. So, we gave up trying to find a babysitter, and just did a family date night. We took all the kids out to dinner with us, then went shopping at Home Depot for lumber for a home improvement project we have in the works.

Saturday was another day of football. Josh's team won again. And this time, Josh actually got to touch the ball--like three times! He got one really good run in, and would have made it for a touch down, but he forgot to tuck in his shirt, and a kid grabbed his shirt tail and wouldn't let go, so he couldn't get away. But, Josh came away feeling so happy and proud of his game. I love seeing his excitement and love for this game.

This past week brought sad news. My brother-in-law's parents have been serving a mission in Texas, and on Thursday night, there was a fire and his mother was badly burned. She passed away the next morning. Thankfully, his father was unharmed. I can only imagine how hard it has been on my sister's family. I cry every time I think about it. Her funeral is tomorrow in Utah.

Saturday evening brought a visit from my parents. When we had planned to go to Sun Valley three weeks ago, we had reserved two nights in a hotel room in McCall for my parents, to say thank you for watching our kids. But then my Grandma died, so I didn't get to go to Sun Valley. We called the hotel in McCall, and they let us move the reserved dates. Scott had another work trip to Sun Valley planned for this week, so my parents agreed to come watch our kids so I could go with him. We moved their hotel reservation to this past Sunday and Monday night. They came on Saturday, stayed the night, went to church with us Sunday morning, then drove up to McCall. The plan was for them to come back Tuesday night, then I'd leave with Scott Wednesday morning for Sun Valley and they'd watch our kids till we came home Friday night. Then they'd be here on Saturday for Josh's football game, and here on Sunday for Savannah's 10th birthday.

But....they needed to go to Utah for Shauna's mother-in-law's funeral. So, once again, my planned get-away with my husband to Sun Valley got canceled. My parents came back from McCall Tuesday evening. And on Wednesday morning, I sent Scott off by himself to Sun Valley and sent my parents off to Utah, and I'm on my own with the kids for three days. I think I'm just going to stop planning vacations alone with my husband. Scott and I did sneak a date in on Tuesday night while my parents were still here, so we did get a little bit of time out together.

Today after school, Savannah gets to go to a friend's birthday party, and then we've got Joshua's football practice. Tomorrow I get to take treats into Savannah's class for her birthday. And I'm trying to get invitations done and plan a party for her next week while they are out of school (school is out Thursday and Friday for Teacher In-service). This weekend we've got more football and Savannah's birthday, so things won't be slowing down quite yet. I'll just be glad to get Scott home tomorrow night. Then we've got just one week before his big Alaska trip.

Ok, now back to the laundry....

1 comment:

Angela Cothran said...

Didn't you know that the second you plan something with your husband, something comes up :)

I'm so sad to hear about Shauna's mother-in-law. That is terrible.