Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fun Times

On Wednesday, Scott spent the whole day in Seattle. I decided I didn't want to cook dinner, so I took the kids to the park instead. We stopped at Wendy's and got food, then went to a new park in Meridian (Settler's Park). I'd heard good things about it and was really wanting to go check it out. I let the kids wear their swimsuits and play in the splash pad at the park. The kids loved the park--it's huge! There is a big water area, tons of swings, a sound garden with different instruments to play (drums, pipes/chimes, and more), and a huge play area (with climbing equipment and slides). We spent several hours there. It was a lot of fun.

On Friday Scott took the day off and we took the older 4 kids to Roaring Springs (we left Owen and Nate home with a babysitter). We spent the entire day there and had a great time. It was so nice having just the older kids because I didn't have to worry about anyone drowning. All the kids were old enough to go on the rides, and we even had an even number to split up for the rides. It was a really fun day, and no one even got sunburned (thank you sunscreen).

Saturday the older two kids went with Scott early in the morning to clean the church. It was our family's turn. I stayed home with the younger kids, since neither them nor I would be any help if we all went. After cleaning the church, we loaded up everyone and went to Scott's parent's house. They needed some bushes removed from their front yard (they had outgrown their space). Marc was there to help us. He and Scott did most of the heavy digging, but all the kids pitched in and helped in their own way. Nate and Aaron brought their plastic shovels and dump trucks from the sandbox to help dig. As we were in the middle of the project, Aaron proclaimed, "I've got a talent for digging!". He and Nate loved digging around in the holes that were left when the bushes were removed.

After finishing with the bushes, we headed home. Scott trimmed our lawn and I mowed it. Then we got cleaned up. This weekend was Stake Conference for us. We had a babysitter come over last night and Scott and I went to the adult session. I love going to that session of Stake Conference. No kids, heavy topics--I always come away feeling inspired to be better. Last night there was a lot of focus on raising good missionary sons. With 4 boys, I was quite emotional as I thought of sending each of them away for two years.

Today was Stake Conference. They split our stake and created the Star Stake. The kids were really not into sitting still and listening, so I spent quite a bit of time out in the foyer with the little boys. The last 20 minutes, I took the three little boys out to the suburban and made them sit in their seats because Nate and Aaron were being so loud and naughty inside the church. I really look forward to the day when I can enjoy an entire block of church without wanting to strangle any little necks.

Tomorrow morning Scott leaves on a three day trip to San Diego, California. It's a "business" trip (aka golfing at Torrey Pines). Fun for him, not so fun for me. This last week when I told Josh that Scott was going to take the day off to take us to Roaring Springs, Josh's eyes got big and he asked, "He can do that?". Scott has a great job, and I really try hard not to complain, but it's very demanding of his time. He spends a lot of time away from us for work. And I know I have it very easy compared to others, and I know that we are compensated very generously for his time, but it's still hard to have him gone so much. I think I'm just feeling stressed because I know that October is coming all too quickly.

1 comment:

Angela Cothran said...

I say complain away! It is hard when your husband is gone and you have 6 kids!