Friday, August 19, 2011

Back from California

Scott had a great time in California. He got to play golf at Torrey Pines, which is a really big deal to him. We survived here at home fairly well.


Scott got home Wednesday afternoon in time for the kids' piano recital. Savannah has taken piano lessons for two years now, and this summer Josh and Sara started lessons. Josh was really not wanting to play anything in front of anyone, so I told him that if he really didn't want to, he wouldn't have to. Then, the night before the recital, one of Josh's friends called and invited him to go to Roaring Springs with him all day Wednesday. It was a really great opportunity for Josh, so I told him he could go (and conveniently miss the recital). He had an amazing time at Roaring Springs (his sisters were extremely jealous).

Sara and Savannah did awesome at the recital. I forgot to bring the video camera, so I don't have it recorded (I'm so sad I forgot the camera). I was very proud of how well they did. Sara is a natural and has picked up the piano so quickly. And Savannah has just really taken off with her playing. Josh hasn't loved the piano like his sisters, so it's going to take quite a few more lessons before he starts to pick it up. The kids' piano teacher, Spencer, is headed off to BYU this fall, so I'm going to have to find them a new teacher. Having all three in lessons equals a small car payment every month, so I'm actually hoping to start teaching them myself and see how that goes. I tried teaching Savannah when she was first starting, and it didn't go so well. I'm hoping, though, now that they have had lessons, I'll be able to step in and continue and have it go well. We'll see.

Wednesday morning the 11 year old achievement day girls in our ward did a babysitting activity. They (along with their leaders) volunteered to babysit kids ages 5 and under while moms took their older kids to get some back to school shopping done. With Scott being out of town, I decided to take advantage and get a little break. Josh was at Roaring Springs, so after I dropped my three little boys off at the church, it was just me and my girls. We went shoe shopping and had a fabulous time. We walked out of the shoe store with 12 pairs of shoes--5 for Savannah, 2 for me, 4 for Sara, and 1 for Aaron. When we got back, Nate was quite upset that he didn't get any new shoes. So, after the recital that night, Nate and I went shopping to get him a new pair of shoes. It was really fun having some alone time with my little guy.

On Thursday, I got on a cleaning/organizing kick. I decided I needed to come up with a better shoe storage solution for all the new shoes we bought. So I loaded up all 6 kids and took them to Home Depot. I bought some new shelves to put in the bottom of our coat closet, and I love how organized our coat closet looks now. After Home Depot, we went on to Walmart to get a few more organizing things. I love the looks I get from people when I walk around with all my kids. I think I heard "Are they all yours?" about 7 times during our time shopping.

Today Josh got to go fishing. On Wednesday morning, before he went to Roaring Springs, he had his first scouting activity--a fishing trip. He didn't catch a fish, but he had fun anyway. His scout leader called today and said she was going to take her boys back (her son didn't catch a fish, either) and asked if Josh wanted to come along. So, he spent the whole afternoon out fishing. Just before it was time to leave, he caught a fish! It's been a good week for Josh.

Tonight Scott took the older three kids golfing (driving range). Aaron and Nate had fallen asleep at dinner time, and Owen really needed to go to sleep, so I stayed home with the three little boys and tried to get some cleaning done. Owen didn't go to sleep, but I did get the upstairs clean despite him crawling around and getting things back out. Now I have two little boys who are wide awake and going to be up late because they napped late. Hopefully they won't be up too late, because I'm exhausted and need sleep.

1 comment:

Angela Cothran said...

Isn't it a crazy world we live in, when 6 kids can cause such a stir in Walmart?