Wednesday, April 29, 2015

2 Years Old!

Kate turned 2 years old on April 22nd.  I can't believe it's been 2 years since I held this girl in my arms for the first time.



I had a really hard time leading up to Kate's birthday.  2 is when they turn from a baby into a little kid.  I've always had another baby (either just born or about to be born) when my kids turn 2.  This was the first time I had my baby turn 2 and I didn't have another baby to fill that baby role.  I don't like having my kids grow up.  But, I can't stop them, and eventually I have to emerge out of that continual baby stage, and accept that they are going to grow up.  It's hard.

I started out Kate's birthday by going to the elementary school to have breakfast with Sara, Aaron and Nate.  Scott stayed home and played with Owen and Kate.  In the afternoon, I took Owen and Kate with me to sign some papers for Owen's new preschool.  Kate caught a quick 30 minute nap on my lap.  When it's your birthday, you can't waste it taking a proper long nap.


The real fun started after Savannah got home from school.  Savannah wanted more than anything to do a friend party for Kate.  So we invited her two cute friends, Alice and Zoey, to come over for an hour to play.  They played in the sandbox, jumped on the trampoline, and they painted finger nails.



 



Anne and Brynne stayed to help with the party, and our neighbor Sydney came over too.  There were plenty of helpers to paint the little girls' nails.



After the party, Alice went home and Anne stayed with her kids for dinner.  The Moores came over too.  We had pizza in the backyard.


Then we moved inside for cake and ice cream.

Kate really didn't want to pose for a picture with her cake.  The closest to a smiling pic was when we handed her the lighter.  She was pretty proud of herself.

 


She loved her cake.  She wanted to pick it to pieces.  We tried to hold her off long enough to get through candles.


These two are the best of friends.

Trying to get a group picture of all the kids was downright comical.  This was the best we got!



Candles time.





 



By the time we got to presents, Kate was so tired.  She'd had a busy day and only a half hour nap.  She wasn't thrilled about having to now open presents.


But when she saw her new boots, she got very happy.


And then she opened these light up Minnie Mouse shoes, and she didn't think she needed to go any further opening gifts.




So we gave all the other kids permission to open Kate's presents.





And then we told Owen to let Kate open her last gift, and he had a complete meltdown.  He got sent to his bed, and within minutes he was asleep.  

The rest of the night went about like that.  Nate came in from outside crying because he got in a fight with Aaron.  He got sent to his room, where he cried till he puked in his bed.  But, all in all, it was a good day for all of us. 

We are so very grateful to have Kate in our family.  I think back to how hard her pregnancy was, and I knew then without a doubt that she was meant to be ours.  We love her more and more every day.  Happy Birthday little girl!

No comments: