Wednesday, November 09, 2011

One Year

One year ago today we checked into the hospital early in the morning.

And after just 2 hours of labor, we got to meet baby number 6.

Checking in that morning, we had no idea he would be as big as he was--9 pounds 2 ounces (our biggest baby)!

Nor did we have any idea he would have as much hair as he did (our babies are usually born bald).

We didn't even know what we were going to name him. But I instantly fell in love with him when he was placed in my arms.

And as we got to know him that first day, we just knew he was supposed to be Owen Henry.

And here we are one year later.

And what a year it has been. Owen changed our lives. Having 6 kids has pushed me to my limits. I am having to cook, clean, and do laundry constantly. Seriously--constantly. It's exhausting. It is really, really hard to find time for everyone and everything. It has definitely been a challenging year. There was the first 6 months and nursing--it was excruciating every time (we had thrush the entire 6 months). I seriously don't know why I stuck with it for so long. And the strict dairy free diet that I had to follow while nursing--that was miserable. And I've had very little sleep this past year. I think I've had maybe 20 nights total of uninterrupted sleep in the entire year. This little boy still hasn't figured out how to consistently sleep through the night. I am tired all the time. And I'm not talking about a yawn here or there, I'm talking about the kind of tired where you are afraid to close your eyes for more than a second, because you might just fall asleep right where you are standing.

And yet, despite all the challenges and frustrations, having Owen be a part of this family for the last year has brought all of us more joy than we could have ever imagined. He is loved by every single one of us. I know some people would question our decision to have 6 kids, but there is no doubt in my mind that our family has been exponentially blessed because we decided to have Owen. When I look at him, I am overwhelmed with a feeling of "right". It's hard to explain, but it just feel so right to have this little BOY, at this TIME, be a part of this FAMILY. He just is right--from his spiky blond hair down to his chubby little toes. I am so in love with this little man, and can't imagine my life without him.

We saved one present for him to open tonight on his actual birthday--one from Grandma and Grandpa Sorensen. They gave him books, which all the other kids grabbed up for themselves to read as soon as they were opened.






Then it was into cozy new birthday jammies from Grandma Jo (he's got a little bit of room to grow into them). (He was chewing on a Tylenol dropper--with two molars coming in, he wants to chew on everything.)



When I rocked Owen to sleep tonight with his bottle, I held him a little bit longer than usual. I wish he could stay my baby forever. Happy first birthday my little Owen!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

he is soooo-o cute! I just want to kiss his chubby cheeks!!! And I can't believe how tiny you looked for a 9lbs. 2 oz. baby! NOT FAIR!!! ;) Happy Birthday Own!!!

Angela Cothran said...

He is so fat! I love fat babies :) Was that really just a year ago? That went by fast!