Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Great Room Swap

If you are wondering why it took me so long to blog about Florida, this is why....

I've been busy. We got most of this built before we left for Florida, and then after Florida, I had to paint and distress it. And it's finally done! I LOVE the way it turned out. And all the rooms are finally all rearranged (and all the carpets got shampooed as we rearranged the rooms, which also kept me busy).

So, here's what started it all. This is what the office used to look like (I took these pictures after we'd already moved the computer--the desk was NEVER that clean while it was actually being used).


We gave the desk to Scott's sister. And we moved the piano into that room. Now instead of the "office", it's the "piano room".

I really want a big stuffed chair to put in this corner--all in good time.

And the best part is that I can shut the door and don't have to listen to the girls practice the same song over and over, or have to tell them to use the quiet pedal because their brother is asleep.

And then we had an empty spot where the piano used to be, so we had to fill it with a TV. So, we built the apothecary "Pottery Barn-ish" media console. And then since we had the beautiful stand for a TV, we had to go buy a cool big TV to put on top of it. That entailed a trip to RC Willey with all 6 kids in tow. They all are so excited about our new TV--it's the biggest one in the house.



And now since we have a TV in the living room, that is the new hang out place instead of my bedroom. Notice the lack of kids lounging about, the lack of sippy cups on the nightstand, and the lack of toys strewn about the floor. My bedroom is actually a bedroom now.

And the final room--the loft. It used to be the playroom. Then last winter we had this desk area built in. We've had the kids' computer up there all along, but now we have our computer up there too. I love that I can be on the computer paying bills, blogging, etc. and the kids are surrounding me playing. I hated before that I had to shut myself off from them anytime I wanted to use the computer.

So there you have it--all our "new" rooms. It's amazing how much more family friendly and functional our house has become with the switching up of the rooms. It's made a huge difference and I really love it. It's been a lot of work getting everything switched over, but now we get to sit back and just enjoy it.

Of course now I need to rethink the pictures hanging on the walls. And I want to repaint and redo the window treatment in the living room. And I'd love to replace the green leather couches in the living room that we bought in college. And I'd really, really love to replace our upright piano with a shiny black baby grand. But all that will have to wait for a while. I'm happy with what I have right now. All in due time.

No comments: