Monday, May 12, 2014

A Whole Lotta Work

When the foundation for our new kitchen was dug, all the dirt got piled to the side on the grass.  They hauled away most of the dirt, but didn't get it all.  There was still about a foot of dirt sitting on our grass.  We didn't want to have to pay to have our builder fine grade the backyard, so I did it myself.  By hand.  With a shovel.  I dug countless wheel barrows of dirt, and Scott dumped countless wheel barrow fulls in our friend's trailer, then we hauled countless trailer fulls of dirt to dump in our friend's yard (they hadn't landscaped yet, and wanted extra dirt for a berm). 

Kate cheering me on from the window.
 



The digging took about a week, and did a number on my hands.

Owen helped.


And when he wasn't helping, he took selfies of his foot.

Kate spent a lot of time out on a blanket on the grass, being entertained by her siblings while I dug.  

Once all the dirt was dug away, there was grass still alive, just waiting to start growing again.  I was worried that we would have to reseed, but the grass is growing great now where the dirt used to be.  We've got a long way still till our yard is "back to normal", but it's one step closer.

No comments: