Friday, September 28, 2012

504

This morning I got to do something that I never imagined I would have to do.  I went to the school and had a meeting with the principal, the school nurse, the school OT, the school counselor, and Aaron's teacher.  We met to set up a 504 plan for Aaron.  A 504 is a step below an IEP.  It is a plan that allows for certain accommodations to be made in the classroom to help Aaron succeed. 

This is truly something I never thought I would have to deal with.  I never imagined I would have a special needs child.  Back in January when Aaron was diagnosed, it totally turned my world upside down.  I knew Aaron was different than my other kids, and I've made accommodations for him in our home long before I knew specifically what we were dealing with.  When we had an actual diagnosis, it was like receiving a breath of fresh air, because finally all my concerns were validated.  But at the same time, it really hit me hard because it meant that Aaron had a real problem that was going to make his life difficult for a long time. 

I have been taking Aaron to Occupational Therapy every week since January.  I have seen so much improvement with him.  But, he still has a long way to go.

The meeting this morning was great.  It was so comforting to have these 5 people sitting around me, all trying to figure out how to best help my son.  They all wanted Aaron to succeed and were willing to come up with accommodations to help Aaron be happy and do well in school.  Aaron's teacher is fantastic and has already implemented a lot of the things for Aaron.  She said he's a great student.  He doesn't ever complain, and is always willing to do whatever work is assigned to the class (but his finished product is never quite what it should be).  She said, though, that as long as he is giving it his best, and she can see improvement, she doesn't care what his work looks like for now.  Aaron is a lucky kid to have so many people care about him!

No comments: