Friday, October 21, 2011

Crazy Thursday

Last week the kids were out of school for Parent/Teacher Conferences. Aaron was off Wednesday through Friday and the other three were off Thursday and Friday.

Thursday was a crazy day. I had been up almost all night with Owen. For some reason, he was not sleeping well. I had been up feeding him a bottle at midnight, 1:30, 3:45, and 6:45 (after which I just stayed up and got ready for the day). I was scheduled to meet with teachers at 8:00, 8:20, 8:40, and 9:00. I figured the kids would sleep most of the time I was gone, so I left Savannah in charge. I explained to her the night before what to do if Owen woke up while I was gone. She knows how to make a bottle and feed him, but diapers are something she hasn't ever had to do. I told her that if he woke up poopy, just to get him up and feed him a bottle and just wait till I got home to change his diaper.

I did great keeping on schedule with the conferences and arrived back home around 9:15. As I pulled into the garage, Sara met me at the door yelling something. I turned the truck off and got out to hear her excitedly telling me that Owen had peed on Savannah. I walked into Owen's room and found him sitting completely naked on top of the changing table. Savannah was frustrated and said, "He won't hold still for me to put his diaper on!" I asked her how long he'd been awake. "Just 10 minutes." I asked why she didn't just wait for me to get home. "Well, he was just wet, so I thought I could change him." I think she wanted to prove herself by having Owen changed and dressed when I came home. And apparently, during all of this Owen had peed all over Savannah. I told her little boys do that. I told her she had done a great job, that Owen is hard to get dressed because he's so squirmy, then I laid him down and put his diaper and clothes on.

I had about 30 minutes to get all the other kids dressed, then we headed off for Owen's gymnastics class. The other 5 kids hung out in the waiting area and watched Owen and me through the windows. It's just a 45 minute class, and all the kids behaved themselves.

Then it was home with another 30 minutes before I shipped Aaron off to a friend's birthday party.

After the birthday party, we had an hour before it was time to take Savannah to her gymnastics class. Her class was an hour, then it was on to another hour of football practice for Josh. Our Thursdays are always busy like this, but it's always so much harder when it's just me doing all the running back and forth (usually Scott does the football practice pickup). We arrived home just before 7 and had dinner then watched a movie upstairs as a family (since we didn't have school the next day, the kids could stay up later).

It's days like that when I really miss having a husband around.

No comments: