Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Challenge

A few months before the end of school, I received an email from Aaron's teacher. She said she had "seen evidence of giftedness in the classroom" and wanted to have him tested for Challenge. She sent home a questionnaire for us to fill out about him. As I filled it out, I thought how similar it was to other questionnaires we have filled out in the diagnosing of his SPD, except this time the behaviors were a positive thing. Things like:

#1 Displays a great deal of curiosity abut many things, is constantly asking questions about anything and everything,
#3 Is uninhibited in expression of opinion
#9 Is nonconforming, does not fear being different. 

Those are all things that we've thought went along with SPD, but I guess they also go along with giftedness.  I got to the bottom of the page, and realized I'd answered all 4's.  The truth is, Aaron's brain works differently than most kids, and if we can harness it for good, it will take him very far in life.

We waited for him to be tested.  At Sara's Invention Convention, we saw the Challenge teacher and asked how the testing was coming.  She said she was very back logged, but hoped to get him finished up before the end of the school year. 

On the last day of school, I received a call from the Challenge teacher.  She told me she had just received his results and just had to immediately call and tell me that he passed.  He scored in the top 99.9% on the IQ test.  She said, "He is your smartest kid on paper" and said, "You have a genius".  He scored a 149 on the IQ test! 

A few days later, Aaron's school teacher called to talk with me about teacher placement for next year, and we talked about his high IQ scores.  She said, "In all the time I've been referring kids for Challenge, I've never seen a kid test that high".  And she said, "That isn't anything I or his other teachers could have taught him, that's all Aaron".  We talked about how his brain works on a higher level, and she said she was convinced he must have a photographic memory because he sees things once and he just knows them.  I talked with her for 20 minutes, loving hearing her praise Aaron and point out all of his amazing qualities.  It was such a happy mom moment.  I love that Aaron has been so blessed to have people in his life that have searched out the good in him, instead of getting distracted by the not so good.  He has come a long way since Kindergarten when he was first diagnosed with SPD, and it's been because of amazing therapists and teachers that have loved him through everything.  I am so proud of Aaron, and am so excited for the great things that are in store for him. 

No comments: