Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Great Man

I loved our day at Temple Square.  I loved seeing my kids learn about all the sacred things that are there.  I felt like the day was just perfect, and while the kids had a few issues, for the most part, everyone was happy and well behaved.  I'm used to people commenting on the large number of children we have, and even on Temple Square, we stood out with our following of 7 children.  Every one we met would do the quiet counting under their breath then say, "7?  Wow!  That is amazing!"

A couple of specific experiences stood out to me that day.  As we were walking up to the Assembly Hall, I noticed a dark haired grandmother-aged woman sitting on a bench.  I didn't think anything of her, just noticed her as we walked up.  Scott took the kids in and I stayed out with Kate.  Kate doesn't like getting left behind, so she whimpered and squirmed to get out of the stroller.  I distracted her by pointing out some nearby flowers, then talked to her while I pushed her in the stroller.  Soon Scott brought out a crying Owen and explained that Sara had made him cry.  He left Owen with me and went back in to sit with the kids.  I knelt down to Owen and hugged him better, and comforted him with my kisses and words.  Then he hopped up in the stroller next to his sister, and I pushed the two of them around and talked with them.  Finally Scott came out with all of the kids, and we talked about where we would go next.  As we were getting ready to go to the next thing, I noticed the dark haired woman get up from the bench and start walking toward us.  For a fleeting moment, I worried that our boisterous group was disturbing her meditation, and that she was leaving to seek out a quieter place.  But, she stopped next to me, gently took my arm, and said, "You are a good momma.  These kids are so lucky to have you."  Then she continued walking away.  Tears sprung to my eyes.  It was such a sweet gesture she had made, and it meant so much to me.

The next experience was while I was in the Visitor's Center, while Scott and Savannah were in the temple doing baptisms.  Owen and Kate were both tired and didn't want to be there anymore, so I was trying to find things that would interest them.  A sister missionary at the other Visitor's Center had recommended taking the kids to see the film "Family of God", so I found the theater hoping to let the kids watch the film.  The sign on the door to the theater instructed us to find some sister missionaries, and they would be happy to accompany us through the film.  So I did just that.  I found the closest set of sisters, and asked them if we could watch the film.  They were happy to take us through it.  We chatted for a few minutes before going in.  I explained where we were from, and that my husband and oldest daughter were in the temple doing baptisms, while I kept the other 6 kids happy.  Then we went in to view the film.  The film is divided up into segments, and one segment is shown in one room, then you move to the next room, and on through 5 rooms.  Each room is decorated to fit what is happening in the film.  It starts with the room set up like a baby nursery, and shows a film about a father and mother marveling over their newborn daughter, and wondering how they can teach her everything they need to.  The next segments follow that girl through her young life, and experiences that help her learn the purpose of life.  It ends with that girl getting married in the temple and beginning her own family. 

As the film ended, the sister missionaries asked each of the kids to tell them their favorite room and part of the movie.  They ended by asking me to bear my testimony about the movie.  I did, through tears, of course.  The sisters then expressed to me that our young family had truly touched them that day.  They told me and the kids that they had felt the spirit very strongly the minute they met us, and told me I was an inspiration to them of what family life should look like.  They thanked us for allowing them to meet us that day.

Two experiences, where I was uplifted and strengthened.  I realize that these people didn't truly know us - they were going off what they had seen of us for just a matter of moments.  And those moments are not what we are like most of the time.  We have fighting, complaining, anger, frustration, and a complete lack of patience with each other a lot of the time.  But Heavenly Father placed those people there at those times to let me know that overall we are doing a pretty good job.  He knew I needed to hear that. 

That evening, we were tired and hungry and were trying to find a place where we could eat.  We had walked over to City Creek Mall, and everyone was bickering over where we would eat.  Scott's patience was wearing extremely thin.  We decided to eat at the Lion House, which meant we had to walk back over to where we had just come from.  As we walked, I saw this scene, and I was overcome with gratitude for Scott.


He was tired and hungry, and the kids were all grouchy, and still Scott took the time to hold his little boy's hand as he walked. 

Scott had spent the afternoon in the temple baptizing our daughter for deceased ancestors.  He had taken time off of work (when I know he was stressed about getting everything in order for his upcoming Alaska trip), to take us on vacation.  He had patiently gone from one thing to the next all over Temple Square, and still he took the time to hold Owen's hand as he walked. I realized that everything I am as a mother, is because I have Scott as my childrens' father.  And he rarely gets recognition for that, because everything he does, is done quietly and selflessly.  I suddenly wished that he had been the one to receive the uplifting compliments that I had received that day.  I wished that he could see how amazing he is and how lucky our kids are to have him.  And so I quickly pulled out my camera and took this picture, to remind me to always be thankful for the great man that I have.

1 comment:

Big R said...

You both are amazing!