Tuesday, October 14, 2014

20 Year High School Reunion

Back in March, one of my friends emailed me and asked if I'd help her plan our 20 year high school reunion.  I agreed, thinking it would be pretty simple.  It turned into a lot more work than I had anticipated, but I'm so glad I was able to get involved.  We held meetings off and on over the summer talking about when we would have it and what things we wanted to do.  In the end, I got the job of tracking down everyone's contact information (thankfully I only had about 50 on my list), all the RSVPs came to me, I got to collect all the money and pay the dinner bill, I made all the name tags, and I got to put together a slide show with everyone's current pictures and information.  I spent many nights leading up to the reunion, staying up till after midnight working on the slide show.  In the end it turned out great.

We held our reunion the weekend of Aberdeen's Homecoming.  We started the weekend with the Homecoming football game Friday night.  We pulled the kids out of school an hour early, so we could make it in time.  My four younger kids decided to stay at grandma's house while we went to the game, so just Sara, Savannah and Josh went to the game.  I spent the whole game visiting with my classmates that were there.  Josh spent a lot of the time actually watching the game, and the rest of the time the three of them played on the big legendary painted rock and took selfies.





When I was looking through the pictures later that night, I wondered who they'd had take the picture of them above.  The next picture revealed the answer.  My best friend and neighbor when I was a little girl - David Anderson.  It made me smile to know he was hanging out with my kids that night.  



The next morning we held a family breakfast at the city park.  Scott and I went early to set up, then he went home and got the kids when it was time for everyone to arrive.  I had been so anxious about the upcoming reunion, agonizing over what I would wear and how I would look.  It was so nice to spend that morning talking with friends and realizing that they were still the same people I'd grown up with, and that none of them were judging me by how I looked.  These friends were with me for almost half my life, and it was just wonderful to see them again and catch up.




That afternoon the kids played at grandma's house while Scott and I finished the final touches on the slide show for that night.  My kids LOVE grandma's house.







That night, we attended the couples dinner.  We had it at an event center halfway between Aberdeen and American Falls, and had a catered dinner.  Out of the 50 we invited, we had 24 come (plus spouses), so we had a pretty good turnout (more than we had at the breakfast).  We all laughed and talked for well over 4 hours.  When the evening ended, no one wanted to go home.  We stood out by our cars and talked and laughed for another hour.  It was such a fun evening.  I'm so glad I was asked to help, because I might not have gone otherwise, and I would have missed out on a wonderful weekend.










The next day, Savannah woke up with the biggest cold sore I've ever seen.  Poor girl was absolutely miserable.  So we decided not to go to grandma's church, and instead headed for home.



Kate took a good long nap on the drive.




We stopped in Mountain Home and fed the kids chicken nuggets and french fries.


When we got home, Scott took Savannah into the doctor (Primary Health), and got a prescription for her cold sore.  I let her stay home from school the next day, so she wouldn't have to have all her friends asking what was wrong.  Poor girl.  It ended up taking about a week to heal completely.  The medicine is supposed to cut down on future occurrences of cold sores.  We are crossing our fingers she never has to have one that bad again!
 

What a wonderful weekend with old friends!

 

No comments: