Friday, February 19, 2010

Last Weekend

Here I am, waiting till a week later to update. Better late than never!

Last weekend was a great one. The kids were out of school on Friday (Teacher Inservice) and Monday (President's Day). My parents came Thursday night and stayed through Monday. It's always a party when Grandma and Grandpa are here--no bedtimes, no chores, just playing. Friday night one of my good friends from high school, Bobby Jo, came with her three kids (Justina 13, Seth 10, Joycee 6). They live in Blackfoot and wanted to attend a jump rope competition (the best of the bests) here in Boise. We loved having them here. Seth and Savannah really hit it off and Sara and Joycee were two little peas in a pod. On Saturday Bobby took Seth and Justina to the jump rope competition and let Joycee stay with us to play. I snuck in a run (just 6 miles), then we all got ready to go out. We went to the Eagle Customer Appreciation Days. We went to the first one two years ago and Sara won an XBox360 and Rock Band, so now we go every year--just in case. Businesses from Eagle all set up booths for advertising, and give out pencils, notepads, key chains, etc with their logo on it. Most booths also give out candy. My kids love it--getting all those things for FREE! And they do drawings for door prizes. This year the event was a little smaller (bad economy), but my kids still came away with each a bag of goodies (from chapstick to coloring books and everything in between). After we finished up there, we headed home. It was such a nice day, we decided to take carrots to the horses. Bobby, Seth and Justina made it home just in time to walk to the horses with us. They stayed for about half an hour, then decided they wanted to go back to see the awards ceremony. Seth decided he'd rather stay with us, so just Bobby and Justina went back. I decided the day was nice enough to merit a visit to the park. So, we left Grandma home with Nate so they could both nap (my mom was sick with a sinus infection), and the rest of us (Scott, my Dad, Me and 6 kids) loaded up into our 9 passenger suburban and went to the park. About half way to the park, my mom called Scott's cell phone to say that the Eagle Chamber of Commerce had just called to let us know that Aaron had won an IPOD. So, we swung back by Customer Appreciation Days to pick up Aaron's prize. What are the odds? Two out of three years our family wins a major door prize! We finally made it to the park and the kids played for about an hour before it started to cool off for the evening, then we headed home. We ended the day with the kids having a movie night/sleepover in the bonus room.

Sunday morning Bobby Jo and her kids left around 9. Our church isn't till 2:30, so we got lots of Grandma and Grandpa play time in before heading off to church.

Monday my parents babysat the kids while Scott took me on a date. He took me shopping for some much needed new clothes and to lunch. My parents ended up leaving around 5 Monday evening. We spent the next week trying to get back on a schedule--especially Nate. He was in a panic all weekend with so many people here, he was always afraid I was going to run off and leave him. He's become such a Mommy's Boy these days.

And a funny story from Saturday night. This gives you a glimpse into how crazy things always are around here. We sat down for dinner and asked Josh to say the prayer. He didn't want to. Scott told him he could say the prayer, or go to his room. He still didn't want to say it, so Scott took him up to spend a little time in his room thinking about his choice. Then we commenced eating (keep in mind, we had 6 extra people with us). As dinner finished up, Scott decided to run get a red box for us to watch, and I went to work on the dishes. The kids all headed upstairs to play. Aaron came into the kitchen with wet pants. He was wearing jeans and couldn't get the button undone in time to use the toilet. So, I stripped him down and put him in my tub. Then I went back to the dishes. About that time, my mom said, "It's too bad Josh is missing out on all of this." Josh! I had completely forgotten about Josh. I left my mom with Nate, and I went up to Josh's room. He was sound asleep. I tried to wake him up so he could come have dinner and play with the kids, but he wouldn't rouse. So, I gave up and headed back down stairs. I was met by a naked and wet Aaron, who announced, "Nobody dried me off!" Then I heard Nate crying. I followed the cry to find him in my bathroom. Nate had climbed into the tub with Aaron, fully clothed. Then Aaron had pulled the plug, got himself out of the bath, turned off the bathroom light, and left. So Nate was sitting in a dark room, in an empty tub, in soaking wet clothes. Apparently Grandma hadn't believed me when I had said (a hundred times that weekend) that you can't let Nate out of your site for even a second. She'd needed to use the bathroom and figured Nate would be fine for a few minutes. That kid is so mischievous these days and loves to get into trouble all the time. I know I said this with Sara and then again with Aaron, but I really don't know how I'm going to survive him!

No comments: