Friday, November 09, 2012

Baby Girl

I had a doctor's appointment this week.  It was going to be my first just regular checkup--no ultrasounds, no checking on bleeds or percentages of miscarriage--just a regular checkup.  Normal people start going to the doctor around 10 weeks and have appointments every 4 weeks after that.  It was 4 weeks ago that I got to become one of those normal people and stop worrying about this baby.

Since it was going to be just a regular appointment, I told Scott he didn't need to come, and I didn't bother with a babysitter for Owen (Nate was at preschool) and just took him along with me.

The appointment started out normal, and my doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat.  I asked him (like I always do) if it was a boy heartbeat or a girl's.  He said it was a girl's heartbeat.  I said, "That's three heartbeats and every time it has been a girl."  He smiled and said, "Yeah, we'd better go check."  Then my regular appointment turned into the ultimate "special treatment" and he took me in the ultrasound room to sneak a peak at my baby.

He wiggled the baby around a bit, trying to get a good view.  Then finally he got a good view and said, "Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that is a girl."  I cried right there.  I was so happy.  I adore my boys, and if it was a boy I would love him beyond belief.  But, I have felt for the longest time (since before Nate) that there was a little girl that was still supposed to be part of our family.  The whole drive home, all I could think was that finally our family would feel complete.

My doctor said he was 90% sure it's a girl, but suggested I wait till our real ultrasound next month before I start buying dresses.
I am so happy to be having this baby. With everything I went through in the beginning, I wasn't sure I'd ever get to this point. I still have to be careful and not push myself too hard. Three different times I've decided to try and be wonder woman and work in the yard (trim bushes, rake leaves, mow the lawn, etc.) and every time I've ended up bleeding afterward. I just can't push myself like I'm used to being able to.  That's a hard thing for me, because I'm used to just doing it all.

I have a feeling that the next 5 months are going to go by extremely slow.  I've already had 6 ultrasounds and I know what I'm having.  Because we've been through so much already, it feels like I should be further along than I am.  I have to keep reminding myself that I'm only 16 weeks and have a long ways to go still.  I just can't wait to finally get her here and hold her safely in my arms.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I am sooooo excited for you Karen!!!! And I totally get how you feel, I was the SAME way with Millie! By the time I finally hit 20 weeks I felt like I should have had her! I was at the doctor every week, getting dressing changes and had had 3 ER visits by then!!! And then it calmed down and I was able to have a somewhat normal pregnancy....but it was still harder than the others because I had lost so much muscle tone over the previous 5 months. I know it still seems like a very long ways off till you have her....and for some reason I think it's harder knowing it's your last and takes longer....but enjoy EVERY moment of it! She is your last and you will never get to experience the wonder of pregnancy again...make the most of it! And if you come over this way, I will GLADLY do some maternity pics of you! :)