Thursday, August 30, 2012

Back-to-School Haircuts

With school starting back up, I'm down to just Owen and Nate at home.  Instead of enjoying the calm, what do I do?  I take on another kid.  Lincoln is a sweet little almost-1-year-old, whose Grandma is in our ward.  Her daughter is a single mom and lives with her, and needed someone who was willing to watch her son.  Lincoln comes over here two afternoons a week (Monday and Thursday) from noon to 3.  She offered to pay me, but I told her I was happy to do it for free.  So in exchange, she offered to cut hair for us anytime we need it (she is a hair stylist).  I decided to take her up on it.  So last Friday we went over to her house (it was her day off).  She pulled out her barber chair in the garage and gave all 4 boys back-to-school haircuts.

Josh went first. Sara had fun pushing Lincoln around in the stroller while his mom was busy.
Aaron went next. At first he wasn't quite sure about things, but then he decided it wasn't so bad.
Nate couldn't wait for his turn.
Owen did surprisingly well. At first he laughed because it tickled, but then he cried because he didn't like it. But, even though he was crying, he held pretty still for the haircut and let her do it.
And the funnest part was after the haircuts, getting to go see all the animals (they live on a mini farm).
More than once, Lincoln's grandma has told me (with tears in her eyes) how much it means to her that I'm babysitting him. I told her that I've had so many people give me service at different times in my life when I've needed it. It's hard for me to provide service to others because I've got my hands so full with all my kids. But this is something that I CAN do. This is service that is easy for me to give.

No comments: