Saturday, December 24, 2011

Haircuts

I've been thinking about cutting my hair for a long time. I LOVE my long hair, but it's a bit of a pain. Blow drying it takes forever. And it's always getting in the way--it hangs in Owen's face when I'm feeding him a bottle. Such long hair isn't really practical for a mom of 6 kids. But I really loved my hair, and it had become such a part of my identity (or so I thought). After having so many kids and getting older, the rest of my body is showing signs of tiredness, but I felt my hair was something I could be proud of. I kind of felt like my hair was the only thing I had going for me. Silly, right? I mean, it's only hair. And I'm so much more than just my hair. But still, it was so hard to think about cutting it off.

Savannah's hair had also become quite long, and she was ready to chop her's off (and donate it to Locks of Love). I decided that I would join her, and cut mine too. I asked my friends if I should cut it, and I received almost unanimous yesses that I should go through with it and chop off my hair. So I did.

My pile of hair.

Savannah's donated ponytail.


The after pictures.


I love it. It's short and fun and easy. It takes no time at all to dry and style. I feel more free and youthful. I love it....until I look at the before pictures. I loved my long hair, and the pictures make me miss it. But, my new short hair is a fun change, and I can always grow it back out. I think I'm just a little self conscious, because I used to feel like all people saw when they looked at me was my hair, and I could just hide behind it. And now I worry that people will actually focus on what my face looks like. I worry that I won't be "pretty" without my hair. I guess it's time to get past that and just be happy and proud of who I am. But, it's going to take some time to get used to it.

No comments: