Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Outings

After being trapped in the house for a week, I was ready to get out and be around people. On Thursday morning, my friend Melanie (the one I used to go running with) came over and stayed with my three little boys while I went to Josh's choir concert at school. I was gone just under an hour. It was so nice to have a little break. That afternoon, Scott's mom came over to help out. She got my house pulled back together (have I mentioned how messy my house had become?) and did all the after school gymnastics runs for me. I was running on virtually no sleep that day, so it was so nice to have some help.

On Friday Owen had his 10 day doctor's appointment. The kids were out of school, and I didn't want to even try having all 6 of them at the doctor, so I asked my neighbor to watch them. Owen and I had some nice quiet time at the doctor's office. I'll update on what the doctor said about him in my next post.

Friday night Scott took Josh to a Boise State football game. Josh loves BSU, and Scott promised him a long time ago that he would take Josh to a game this year. Blue Cross gave Scott two tickets to Friday's game, and since I couldn't go, Josh got to be his dad's date to the game. It was a cold rainy evening, so they bundled up and braved the elements. They left for the game around 5:30 so they could hit some tailgates that they'd been invited to. The game started at 7, and they arrived home just before midnight. And Josh loved every minute of it.

Sunday we ventured out as the entire family for the first time--for church. It was fun to show off Owen to all of our ward friends.

Monday evening I took Owen to get his hand and foot mold done. I've done it with all of my kids, and have all the molds of their hands and feet in a line on top of my piano. Savannah got to come along to help keep Owen happy on the drive.

And today was the first time that I got to venture out with all 6 kids by myself--for Aaron's gymnastics. Normally it would only be the three little boys and me, but the other three kids are out of school for Thanksgiving break, so I had all 6. It proved to be quite an adventure--nothing major went wrong, just the chaos of trying to navigate 6 kids where I need them to go. The kids were all excited to show their little brother off to their gymnastics instructors. And Nathan got some good snuggle time with his favorite instructor Miss Christina. She was working the front desk during Aaron's class, and let Nate be her little helper on her lap the whole time. He loved the extra attention.

I find myself wondering how I'll survive each day (lack of sleep, lack of time, lack of energy, etc.). But survive I do, and I find that if I just take it one day at a time, it helps. I feel like I will never again be caught up on laundry and cleaning, but realize I have to be patient and just do my best. I mean, it's only been two weeks. I keep telling myself that things will get easier, and in the meantime, I need to enjoy this newborn stage because it will go by way too quickly.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Karen...my home is always a mess. When my parents came in June, my mom, whose home has always been spotless, said to me,"One day soon, before you know it, you will have all the time in the world to have a clean home. Enjoy your kids and don't worry too much about the mess." I think that she kinda regrets the times she followed us around cleaning instead of playing with us.

Your little Owen is such a beautiful little baby. Do like you said and enjoy this newborn stage. It does go by. It's been harder than I thought knowing we are not having anymore of those little newborns in our home.