Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November 11th--Going Home Day

With all my other kids, I was very eager to check out of the hospital as soon as I could. I would stay my required 24 hours, and then I'd check out. This time around, I decided that I was going to stay for 2 days. I knew that if I went home to 6 kids, I'd over do it and end up with problems. So, for two days I enjoyed the quiet time with Owen, enjoyed the yummy hospital food, enjoyed the hospital's cable TV, and got plenty of REST. It also turned out to be a good thing for Owen, since he had so much trouble with his blood sugar.

So, after two days of lying in bed, it was time to return to real life. Thursday morning, my doctor came to sign my discharge papers and gave me the ok to leave (but told us "you've bought the day till midnight, so stay as long as you like"). The pediatrician came and did Owen's circumcision. We got all of Owen's tests finished up (hearing screen and lab work). And then we waited around till evening so the kids could come and help us bring him home. We talked about trying to just sneak out quietly during the day, but knew the kids would be really sad if they didn't get to come bring us home. It's a tradition we've done with all the kids, the older brothers and sisters get to come to the hospital, we take pictures, and then we all leave as a family. So, we waited till after school time.

But, my dad decided he was tired of dealing with uncooperative little kids (aka Nate and Aaron), and left them home with my mom and only brought the three older kids. I was really sad that I only had half my kids there. We took a family picture, but it wasn't the same without having all the kids there.


Then we signed the last of the discharge papers and loaded him into his car seat.




When we got home, we got all the kids for a family picture. Unfortunately, the lighting was too dark, and they didn't turn out very good.


By the time we went to bed that night, I wasn't feeling very well. Nursing is always very painful in the beginning, and I was hurting because of that. On top of that, I was cramping a lot. At 3 am when Owen needed to eat, I asked Scott to do a bottle for him, because I was really nauseous. At 6 am, I realized that the nausea wasn't because of my pain, but it was the flu.

No comments: