Thursday, July 15, 2010

The End of Scott's Alaska Trip

Sunday proved to be an adventure. We ended up missing most of Sacrament meeting because Sara cried for 30 minutes over what shoes she wanted to wear, and then I spent 15 minutes searching for my keys (which one of the kids conveniently put in our junk drawer). When it came time for nursery, Nate wouldn't let me leave. I spent the next two hours sitting in the rocking chair in the nursery with Nate on my lap. He wouldn't even get down and play. At the end of church, I rounded up all 5 kids and wondered why I had even bothered to come.

Monday was a bit better. We started our second week of swimming lessons. Then in the afternoon, Scott's parents came over and stayed with the kids for a few hours while I went and ran errands. I made a trip to Costco for diapers and wet wipes. It was the first time in a year and a half that I've had to buy diapers. A year and a half ago I stocked up on diapers at an amazing Albertsons sale, and have just been using those. I got Aaron through diapers and have had Nate in them the whole time, but I've finally run out of the larger sizes. I still have a bunch of little diapers that I'll be able to use on the new baby. It's been really nice not having to buy diapers, they are expensive.

After I got back from running errands and Scott's parents had gone, we had a very kid friendly dinner of pizza, then went to rent a Redbox movie. We were about half-way through the movie when we paused it for all the kids to get their jammies on. I headed downstairs and got Nate's jammies and warmed up a bottle for him. Right then Scott called to say he had landed at the airport in Boise (around 9:45 pm). I breathed a sigh of relief because we were finally on the very end stretch of his trip--he just had to drive home. Just then I heard Sara let out a blood curdling scream from upstairs. I told Scott I'd better go check out what had happened. As I neared the top of the stairs, I told Scott, "It's bad. I have to go." I hung up the phone, put Nate and the bottle down and rushed over to a bloodied Sara. Her nose was gushing blood. I got her into the bathroom and watched as the blood dripped through her fingers, down her legs, and pooled between her toes on the bathroom tile. I sent Savannah for a rag and wet wipes and tried to get the story of what had just happened. Josh was more than willing to report on the incident--Sara and Aaron were pulling on each end of one of Scott's exercise bands, and Aaron had let go, sending it snapping back (like a rubber band) right into Sara's nose. By then Savannah was back with the rag (which I gave to Sara and told her to hold tightly against her nose) and the wet wipes (which I used to clean the blood up off the tile floor. I examined Sara and decided she was going to need a bath (she was covered in blood), so I helped her undress and get into a warm bath. Then I went to work on my carpet. The incident had happened in the bonus room, and she had tracked blood from there, clear through the loft, and into the bathroom. I went downstairs and got my Bissell, brought it upstairs and started cleaning the path of blood up out of my carpet. In the meantime, Aaron had been sent to his bed. When I finished cleaning the carpet, I checked in on Sara in the bath. Her nose had stopped bleeding, so I told Josh to help her out of the bath when she was ready. Then I went in to Aaron, who was feeling really badly about what he had done. I told him I knew it was an accident, but that there was a reason we tell them all not to play with our stuff (I don't know how many times we've told them that Dad's exercise equipment is not a toy and to leave it alone). Then I gathered all the kids back up and we settled back down in the bonus room to finish watching our movie. I pulled Nate with his bottle and blanket up onto my lap and realized that I'd never called Scott back. Just then I heard the garage door open, so I waited a few more minutes till he came upstairs to give him the full report. Ahh, if only he had been home a half hour sooner and we could have avoided all of that!

All the kids were so happy to have their daddy back, and so was I. We all stayed up way too late looking at his fishing pictures, and the kids got to bed around midnight. After the kids were asleep, Scott took me out to help him unload his luggage. He had two big boxes of fish (halibut, cod, salmon, and rock fish)--about 100 pounds in all. We got it all transferred to the freezer, and it almost made me not care that he'd been gone for 6 days. Getting all that fish is the one redeeming thing about his Alaska travels.

Tuesday morning Scott took the kids to swimming lessons so he could see how they are progressing. Then he went in to work around lunch time. Of course after being gone, he as a ton of stuff to catch up on, so he's come home after 6:30 the last two evenings. Last night he had to go do an Eagle Board of Review that took 2 1/2 hours (seriously, that's a long board of review). So, even though he's been back for a few days, I don't feel like we've really had much time with him. I'm hoping this weekend we can get some fun things in all together as a family.

And here is a picture of our freezer, all stocked with fish. Another box of rock fish showed up today (it wasn't ready before Scott left to come home, so they had to ship it), so I'm guessing we have about 150 pounds of fish. A couple of years ago I wanted Halibut for Mother's Day dinner, and we had gone through all of ours from the previous summer, so Scott had to go buy some. It was $18 a pound! So, when I see this freezer, I just think of how much all that fish is worth, and about how many yummy dinners of fish I have in store for me. The top shelf is rock fish on the right and halibut on the left. Next shelf down is cod stuffed between bread and frozen pizzas. Next shelf down is a couple packs of salmon. And the shelf below that is more salmon on the right and more halibut on the left.

No comments: