Sunday, November 15, 2015

It's A Boy!

When I had an ultrasound at 16 weeks, my dr had a hard time getting a good look, but he said he was 70% sure my baby was a girl.  I took that as 100% and started making plans for a little girl.  It never even occurred to me that it might be a boy.  I was sure it was a girl.  A girl would make things even - 4 girls, 4 boys.  Kate would have a little sister close in age to grow up with.  It was going to be perfect. 

And then I had my 20 week ultrasound, and I was utterly shocked to see this!


I was seriously in shock.  I was sure the picture must be wrong.  But, a few more views of him throughout the ultrasound, and I knew there was no way it was wrong. 

I watched the rest of the ultrasound in a daze.  A boy?  How could this be a boy?  I'm still a little in shock even now, a month and a half later. 

I had a quick ultrasound with my dr, then he sent me across the hall to an ultrasound tech for my complete 20 week diagnostic ultrasound.  That ultrasound lasted almost an hour, and the tech looked at everything to make sure our baby was developing normally and was healthy.  I had been really nervous leading up to the ultrasound.  I had declined to have genetic testing done earlier in the pregnancy, so this was our chance to find out if there was something terribly wrong.  I'm almost 40, so the worry is very much real and justified.  But, he looked good!  He's completely healthy!



So, instead of having a nice even 4 and 4, I'm going to have 3 girls and 5 boys!  It's not that I didn't want a boy, it was just not at all what I was expecting, and it's taken some time for it to set in as a reality.  But, I think we've all come to accept that it's a boy, and we are starting to get so excited for when he will join our family.  I promise, he will be very loved in this family. 

No comments: