Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SICK

The last two weeks can be described in one word--SICK!

We arrived home on Sunday.

On Monday Nate threw up in my chair (I had to use my Bissell to thoroughly clean my chair).


On Wednesday (the day the kids started back to school) Sara threw up at school and had to come home early.

Saturday night Scott and I put the kids to bed, then put on a movie. Half an hour into the movie, Aaron appeared on the stairs covered in throw up. I cleaned up his bed (he missed the floor). It was the worst smelling throw up that I have ever cleaned up in my 10 years as a mom. We quickly realized that this bug was mutating and gaining momentum as it moved through our family. It hit Aaron hard. He threw up every half hour through the night. He slept all day Sunday, and didn't eat a thing all day. I kept him home from Kindergarten Monday. He slept in late, then got up feeling better and was ready to finally eat something.

Tuesday morning Savannah came downstairs at 5 a.m., stopped long enough at my bedside to tell me she was sick, then continued on to my bathroom to throw up in my toilet. She threw up all day long. She stayed home Wednesday morning from school, then felt well enough to go to school around lunch time.

Thursday morning we woke up to Nate in his bed covered in throw up. He was sick again (he had started it all a week and half earlier). He followed the same pattern as Aaron and Savannah, throwing up every half hour most of the day. Just before noon, Owen threw up. I put him in the tub, got out the Bissell to clean up the carpet, and tried calling Scott for help. Scott wasn't paying attention to his phone, so I tried to manage by myself. Aaron walked in the door from Kindergarten just then, so I had him watch Owen in the tub while I hurried to clean the carpet. Then I got Owen out of the tub, had him throw up on me two more times, then got him to fall asleep on my lap on the couch. I was stuck. I didn't dare put Owen in his crib (afraid he'd throw up all over it), but I couldn't help Nate at all if he got sick again. I tried Scott again and pleaded for him to come home and help me. He was pretty annoyed, because he had a TON of stuff to do at work, but he dropped it all to come home and help me. He came home and got the laundry started, and sat with Nate. I was finally able to put Owen down in his crib, and was able to go back to taking care of Nate, so Scott could go back to work.

Saturday evening I started to not feel great. Savannah had asked earlier in the day if we could go out to dinner as a family. Scott and I had bargained with her, that if she would babysit the kids while we went grocery shopping at Walmart (while Owen napped), we'd take them all to dinner that night. As evening approached and we needed to made do on our promise, we loaded up the kids to head to Red Robin. I told Scott I wasn't feeling well, but hoped it was just exhaustion and lack of real food that day. I ordered my favorite, an apple harvest salad, but could only get through a few bites. By the time we got home, I knew I was going to be sick. I was supposed to substitute in Sunday School the next day, but knew I wasn't going to make it. So Scott stayed up late and prepared the lesson to give for me. That night I was really sick. I threw up everything.

Scott took Savannah, Sara, Aaron and Nate to church with him. Josh was the only child who hadn't been sick yet, and he wasn't feeling too great, so I kept him home with me. Owen had to stay home too since Scott had to teach and wouldn't be able to take care of him. I sat on the couch and watched Josh and Owen play. As soon as Scott got home, I went back to bed. By Sunday night, I was finally able to handle some ice chips.

Sunday night/Monday morning at 3 a.m. Josh showed up at my bedside announcing that he had thrown up. I headed up the stairs to clean up his bedding, while Scott got Josh into a bath. I quickly realized that my stomach wasn't going to handle the smell, and had to return back downstairs to break the news to Scott that he would have to take care of this clean-up.

Josh was sick all day yesterday, and stayed home from school today to rest up. I'm hoping that this is finally the end. Scott is the only one who hasn't had it. Hopefully he's been away at work enough that he hasn't been so exposed to it. I am so sick of cleaning up sick kids. I really need for this to be the end of it. I came home from Disneyland so completely exhausted, and have had way too many sleepless nights since then because of sick kids. I really am nearing my breaking point, so I need for this to be the end of this sickness.

1 comment:

Angela Cothran said...

Yuck! That is so terrible! I hate it when kids are throwing up. It gives me anxiety.

I've been so sick for 2 1/2 weeks too. I had a kidney stone so big I had to have surgery. I wouldn't recommend it.

Lets all get feeling better :)