Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Little Fun and a Lot of Work

We did finally make it to the park like I promised the kids on Wednesday. The sun finally came out, so we headed to Guerber park to play. Scott picked up dinner (chicken nuggets) and met us at the park after work. I also took the kids to a park (DeMeyer Park) on Friday afternoon and once again, Scott met us with dinner after he got off work. The weather is still hit and miss on when it's nice, but we have had a few sunshiny days this week. Friday morning I took all 5 kids with me and we went Father's Day shopping. I love how everybody we pass just has to ask, "Are they all yours?". To their credit, they were very well behaved, and we can't wait for Father's Day next week so we can give Scott his presents. Yesterday we went to the Eagle Fun Days parade. The kids were rather disappointed because there wasn't much candy thrown, but they still thought it was fun.

Now for the work. I'm trying to get the kids on some sort of work schedule this summer. During the school year, I go pretty lightly on Josh and Savannah because they have school. They don't get home till after 4, then we have homework, dinner, and early bedtime--not much time for chores. And I go pretty lightly on the younger three because they are little and don't think they can really do work. So, all the house cleaning falls back to me, and I'm getting a little tired of it. So this summer I'm hoping to get the kids used to actually doing work around the house. I've made them help me with all sorts of things this week--picking up toys, putting dishes into the sink, putting the clean silverware away out of the dishwasher, making their beds, gathering and folding laundry, etc. I'm hoping that with more practice, the complaining will start to diminish a bit more.

Friday night Scott and I went on a date. We went shopping for some maternity clothes for me. I'm on my 6th pregnancy, and all my maternity clothes are looking more than a bit worn. So, we added two new shirts and a pair of capris to my collection. After we got home from our date (with the little day light that was left), Scott went next door to our neighbor's, the Masons, house to help with their sprinkler system. He went over again early Saturday morning to do more work. We stole him away for the parade, then he went back to do more sprinkler work. The kids played outside with the Mason's kids most of the afternoon while the two dads worked on sprinklers. I did some much needed cleaning inside the house, mowed our lawn, then took Nate grocery shopping at Walmart. When I got back from grocery shopping, Nate and I joined the older 4 kids (who were playing in the Mason's backyard while I was gone) and Scott till almost dark. Then I brought all the kids (who were very tired and dirty) home for baths and jammies. Scott came home just after dark. We all were exhausted and were very happy to just fall into bed. We were so tired, that we all slept in till 11 this morning! That's the only good thing about late church--getting to sleep in. Our church is from 2:30-5:30, and is so hard on Nate (who has to go without a nap most weeks). But, we survived another week of church, which is always a big accomplishment.

Tomorrow I (and the kids) get to do more house cleaning. I swear, it's a constant around here. It's never done because as soon as it's done, it gets undone. My parents and sister are coming home from the Oregon Coast tomorrow and will be stopping over again for the night, so I'd like to have the house looking good when they come. I always wonder why I do that--it just stresses me out trying to get everything clean. And they never notice when they come, and it immediately gets messed up with luggage and beds all over the floor and kids playing. But, it makes me feel better knowing that my house was clean for my company.

No comments: