Saturday, February 25, 2012

36

Thursday was my 36th birthday. My sweet neighbor and friend Amy offered to watch my kids so I could go out with Scott. I picked morning, so she'd only have to watch Owen (the older 4 were at school and Nate was at preschool). We dropped the kids off at school, then headed to the Red Cross to donate blood together. I realize that seems like a strange thing to pick to do, but they had been calling me to see when I could come donate blood, and I can't do it when I have the kids, so I thought it would be great if Scott and I did it together while we were kidless. I squeaked by on the hemoglobin count (you have to be 12.5 or higher, and I was 12.5), and had a nice successful donation till the very end. My bag was full, and I was just waiting for them to come take the needle out, when I suddenly started feeling sick. Next thing I know, I'm fighting to stay conscious, and not doing a very good job of it. I was totally unaware of the whole process of taking the needle out. All I was aware of was them saying, "Open your eyes, I need you to open your eyes", and I was trying very hard to, but not really able to. After a few minutes (I think, I wasn't really aware of how long it really took), I was ok. I apologized and assured everyone that I really was fine, and earned some extra juice just to make sure I wouldn't pass out again when I walked out the door.

After giving blood, Scott and I went out for an early lunch at Kneaders. Then we picked up Nate from preschool, picked up Owen from Amy's, and were home in time to welcome Aaron home from Kindergarten. Scott stuck around for another hour and played with the boys, then had to go in to work for a meeting. I spent the afternoon taking a nap (while Owen napped and Nate and Aaron watched a movie).

When it was time for school to be done, I loaded up the three boys, and we went to pick up the older three from school and drop Savannah off at gymnastics. We headed home for a few minutes for Josh to get changed into his basketball clothes, then I took him to basketball practice. Scott picked up Savannah from gymnastics and took her shopping for birthday presents for me in the half hour they had before it was time for them to pick up Josh from basketball. In the meantime at home, I got a visit from my Relief Society president with a birthday gift, and my dear friend Lisa gave me flowers.

Scott came home with Savannah and Josh at 6:30 with pizza for dinner. Then it was time for presents. I had only asked for one thing--an ironing board. Mine is from college, and really needed replaced. Scott won a Scentsy warmer and wax at staff meeting at work, and passed them on to me as birthday presents, and he and Savannah had picked up some dark chocolate for me. He let each of the kids give one thing, and I let each of them do the opening of the wrapping paper.








When it came time for Scott's gift to me, I closed my eyes while he brought it in, and I tried to act surprised.



Then Scott had me close my eyes again, and said he had one more gift for me. When I opened my eyes and saw the massive box, I instantly knew what it was. The writing on the end of the box "Amaranthine" confirmed my suspicions.

After I painted my walls light gray, I decided I needed a pop of color to add to the room. I started looking for pictures to go above my fireplace, and settled on one that I absolutely loved. A picture of the Salt Lake Temple with a branch of red leaves in front of it. I loved it. But, the enormous price tag scared me off, so I have been searching for something that could compete with that. I finally gave up and decided I could just do with what I currently had, because I couldn't find anything that I loved as much as this particular picture.

My wonderful husband gave me that beautiful picture for my birthday. I cried. A lot. I cried because I knew it was way too expensive for him to get for me. I cried because I was so glad he had gone ahead and spent the money anyway. I cried because this picture speaks peace and beauty, and it's exactly what I want in my living room. I cried a lot.

And then when I finally composed myself, we had ice cream cake.


And now in my living room, above my fireplace, I have my dream picture hanging. I absolutely love it.


It was a great birthday.

1 comment:

Angela Cothran said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I can't believe we are 36 this year. You know what really blows my mind is that my Mom was younger than this when we moved to Aberdeen. Ya! Blows my mind.