Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam

Aaron is officially a sunbeam at church, but he's not too happy about it. He LOVED nursery, and would prefer to just stay there indefinitely. During December, they had the soon-to-be-sunbeams go into sharing time for 10 minutes each week, to get them used to being in primary. The first week they did that, they had to come get me out of Relief Society because Aaron refused to go. I had to carry him each week kicking and screaming into primary. He really did not want to be in primary. So, last week he was officially out of nursery and in primary. I had to sit on the chair with him in sharing time and force him to stay there. As they were singing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" to welcome all the new little sunbeams, Aaron yelled "I don't want to be one for Jesus!!" Then during the bishopric message during sharing time, Aaron squirmed away from me, laid down on the floor and yelled, "I want to go home and take a nap!!" Brother Rasmussen stopped, looked at Aaron and chuckled, then went on with his message. When it came time for class, Aaron got outside the primary room and bolted down the hall. I tried to chase him, but decided he was too fast. So I called to some teenagers that were down the hall and asked them to tackle him for me. I then carried Aaron to his class screaming that he "just wanted to his real class" aka nursery. When he wouldn't sit in his class, I took him out in the hall to a corner and sat down with him and told him he could either go to his class and have fun, or sit in the corner in the hall. He said, "I choose to go to nursery!" I told him that wasn't a choice. "I choose to go home!" Once again, I told him that wasn't a choice. Then Brother Hugentobler came along. He and his wife were subbing in sunbeams, but he'd had to teach sunday school, so he was just now coming to help out with the sunbeams. He saw me with Aaron, walked up to Aaron, put out his hand and asked Aaron to come be his helper. Aaron got up, took his hand and walked happily off to class--and stayed there without any problems. When I picked him up, Sister Hugentobler told me that about 5 minutes before class was done, Aaron put his hand on Brother Hugentobler's back and said, "I love you, Mel!"

So, yesterday when sacrament meeting was done, I started down the hall with Aaron towards primary. As we hit the primary door, Aaron yelled, "I don't want to go!" and started to run past the door. Luckily, Brother Hugentobler just happened to be coming up the hall and he stopped Aaron and said, "Hey, Aaron, come into primary with me" (even though this week he wasn't substituting). Aaron walked into primary with him and sat down next to him. Scott and I were in the back of the primary room waiting to listen to Josh give a talk. Aaron turned around and said, "Mom!" I waved at him. He said, "Mom, I need you to talk!" "What?" I asked. He smiled a huge smile, pointed next to him, and beamed, "It's Mel!!" Thank goodness for Mel Hugentobler! Mel was able to sneak away as soon as Aaron's real teachers got there (who happen to be our next door neighbors).

So Aaron is officially a sunbeam, and hopefully he'll learn to like it. We have three more weeks before Nate gets to go into nursery. Hopefully that won't spark jealousy issues for Aaron. And hopefully Nate likes nursery as much as Aaron did (unlike Josh, who required me to go to nursery with him for the first 6 months he was in there).

1 comment:

Leland and Laura said...

Thank you for writting down the story. I love this one and had thought I needed to write it myself. You do a much better job than I would have. We love our Aaron and I am happy to know that he felt so safe and comfortable in Nursery.