Sunday, April 10, 2011

Vacation--Part 5

Friday morning I woke early to start packing. While I packed, Scott took the kids down to our beach for one last time to play in the waves. This time both Aaron and Nate kept their distance and just dug in the sand.




The older kids did what they loved best--playing in the waves. Amazingly, everyone stayed dry this time.








Scott decided to try to be artistic and got some really cool pictures. (I think I should hand the camera off to him more often.)



After they got back from the beach, we finished loading everything into the suburban, and said goodbye to the house. It was an amazing week. I can't begin to express how wonderful it was to have my family together there that week, making such wonderful memories.



And then all that was left was the drive home. Twelve and a half hours. It was miserable. We took a different way home that entailed windy mountain roads. Sara got car sick and threw up in a plastic garbage sack (luckily I had one handy). We stopped in Corvalis at a Safeway and ended up spending an hour there. Scott took the boys in to use the bathroom and buy snacks, while I sat in the suburban with the girls (who were both feeling sick now) and fed Owen. When Scott came back, he exchanged the boys for Savannah (who had decided that she needed to use the bathroom, too). Then when they got back, I took my turn going to the bathroom with Sara while Scott stayed with the rest of the kids at the suburban. When Sara and I got back, Scott told me he had discovered that Aaron had shoplifted. On the first trip in, while Scott had been buying snacks, Aaron had snuck a pack of candy. So, Scott made another trip in to the store with Aaron to pay for the candy and for Aaron to say sorry. After about an hour in the Safeway parking lot, we were off again. We made several more bathroom and feeding stops before doing another major stop in Burns for dinner at McDonalds. We finally made it home at 12:30 am. A 13 hour trip there and 12 1/2 hours home. I can't believe our kids did as well as they did on both trips. They were all very happy to sleep in their own beds that night.

No comments: